Strand Camera - low-latency single camera acquisition and tracking software
Strand Camera is low-latency camera acquisition and tracking software. It is
useful for 2D tracking of animals, robots, or other moving objects. It also
serves as the basis for 3D tracking using Braid.
Strand Camera is the successor of
fview, and is the result of
a rewrite focused on performance, ease of use, and flexibility.
- Low-latency, marker-free 2D tracking of multiple animals based on
high-performance background subtraction.
- Tracking latency is dominated by image acquisition time, with all aspects of
the program written to prioritize low latency image acquisition and
- Basler USB3 and GigE area cameras are supported
- Recording of compressed video into MKV files with precise timestamps
- Web based user interface allowing easy remote control
- Integrated Python scripting
- Python-based image processing (e.g. with DeepLabCut)
- Python-based control of all user interface elements in the web-based
The documentation for Strand Camera (and Braid) is
Releases are provided via GitHub.
Supported operating system
Ubuntu Linux (64 bit Intel/AMD) is supported. We test internally on macOS and
Strand Camera is free and open source software.
Support is offered on a best effort basis via the github
repository or the online
forum. Contact Andrew Straw regarding for potential
availability for collaboration or custom development.