Strand Camera - low-latency single camera acquisition and tracking software
Strand Camera is low-latency camera acquisition and tracking software. It is
useful for 2D tracking of animals, robots, or other moving objects. It also
serves as the basis for 3D tracking using Braid.
Strand Camera is the successor of
fview, and is the result of
a rewrite focused on performance, ease of use, and flexibility.
- Low-latency, marker-free 2D tracking of multiple animals based on
high-performance background subtraction.
- Tracking latency is dominated by image acquisition time, with all aspects of
the program written to prioritize low latency image acquisition and
- Basler USB3 and GigE area cameras are supported
- Recording of compressed video into MKV files with precise timestamps
- VP8 and VP9 codecs use CPU compression and are available on all supported
- On supported Linux systems with appropriate NVIDIA
H264 compression is performed
- Web based user interface allowing easy remote control
- Integrated Python scripting
- Python-based image processing (e.g. with DeepLabCut)
- Python-based control of all user interface elements in the web-based
Supported operating system
Ubuntu Linux (64 bit Intel/AMD) is supported. We test internally on macOS and
Cost and licensing
Strand Camera is free software in alpha testing. Releases are provided via a
private repository on
GitHub. Please email Andrew Straw with your GitHub
account name for access.
Access to the source code is possible upon agreement with Andrew Straw. We have the goal of
open sourcing the software.
Support is offered on a best effort basis via the github
repository or the online
forum. Contact Andrew Straw regarding for potential
availability for collaboration, paid support, or custom development.